A JOURNEY TO INDIA
December 10 - 29, 2023
The Mixed Technique of Egg Tempera and
Philip Rubinov Jacobson with Mantra Cora
and Teaching Assistant - Ila Rose
REGISTRATION is open to 15 PARTICIPANTS *. ALL INCLUSIVE TUITION, ROOM & BOARD
Does not include Airfare
$300 discount for the first Lucky 7 people that register and Pay-in-Full.
See Details below.
ABOUT THIS ALL-INCLUSIVE SEMINAR
India is a destination unlike any other and Kerala is arguably the most beautiful place in India.
Whether it’s India’s spirituality, lands of tigers and kings, Himalayan peaks, holy rivers, the chance to answer that ancient-future call to your spirit or simply just looking for inspiration, join us and embark on a journey of a lifetime. Travel into the world of hidden natural wonders, glorious history, glamorous traditions, aromatic ayurvedic spas and an unforgettable culinary experience . . . all while studying and Mastering the Magic of Mischtechnik Painting, an ancient technique of painting in an ancient land. On this journey of study that refines your skills, gives you a Quantum Leap in your artwork, and in addition, leaves time for you to extend your trip even further to explore and experience the mysteries and beauty which is India. Under the personal guidance of Prof. Phil and Mantra Cora, you do not have to be a skilled artist or painter to join the ranks of the many who have discovered their hidden talents. And as a more experienced artist, you will learn deeper tricks of the trade, methods and secrets which give you results that you will be more than surprised about; many would even say “life-changing”. On this painting retreat the teachers will guide each student in learning a sound and practical version of Mischtechnik, (Mixed Technique of Egg Tempera and Oil Painting), based on the principles and procedures of the Old Masters of the 14th and 15th centuries, particularly of the Northern Renaissance. This, in combination with the simplicity of a Grisaille, (or Brunaille underpainting), an approach inspired by 19th century painters, will help to make these sophisticated techniques easy to learn and manage. In essence, you will be learning an acient-future knowledge of the old masters that will ignite your new visions.
You will learn to make beautiful glazes with oleo-resin and oil color, and then heightening with white egg tempera, casein or an oil-white to create a rich luminosity, depth and atmosphere in your work. In this way, paintings become more convincing and the illuminated forms within more believable. Your work becomes alive, moving far away from the flatland of pervasive art we see today. First year students will learn the basic fundamentals of Mischtechnik Principles. Advanced students will learn the use of faster and slower mediums, different grounds, or imprimatur, characteristics and drying times of oil colors and some tricks of the trade as they are guided through various versions of indirect painting by Prof. Phil and his 50 years of experience and knowledge that is alwats generously offered
Methods and materials will be a focus for all students. Mantra will also offer ways to construct various grounds in decalcomania, allowing for a spontaneous approach in the beginning stages of painting to create a 'visionary portrait', or another image that may arise. Power-Point lecture presentations will also help to ensure the understanding of the history and methods of the masters. Mantra and Prof. Phil's style of teaching is a highly individualized approach tailored to fit each participant's individual direction and visual language. Ila Rose will assist students in understanding and applying the basic steps in Mischtechnik and any technical difficulties that may arise. Ila's talent, skill and gentle approach to teaching is a great asset to OMNV and reinforces the knowledge and experience for our participants. All of this occurs in a safe and sacred space. The OMNV studio is always inspiring and magically provides a serendipitous and alchemical process in painting.
* Optional Free 1-hour and 15 minutes Yoga Class every morning at 6:00 a.m.
* Painting Instruction is at least 6 hours per day, Mon - Fri, 9:30 a.m – 12:30 p.m and 2:30 p.m – 5:30 p.m.
* Open Studio with 24 hour access, seven days a week.
* 90 - 110+ hours of instruction in Methods and Materials, Under-painting, Indirect & Direct Painting in Layers, and a version(s) of Mischtechnik as practiced by the Old Masters with innovations from Prof Phil & Mantra Cora. Historical context is also part of the lecture series along with a contemporary survey of Misch Masters.
* Meet fellow Artists and Kindred Spirits in a creative environment, studying, sharing experiences and cultural activities together.
* Enjoy meals, conversation and sharing visions together. Eat a meal together, or if you like, check out the amazing local cuisine.* Enhance your skills in observation and nurture an intuitive - higher vision.
* 3 Meals a day with options for Vegetarian and non-vegetarian Souther Indian or Aureyvedic Vengan dishes.
* Creative courage comes naturally in this sacred setting of beauty, culture, humanity with the support of generous teachers.
* Respectful instruction is tailored to each individual's unique visual language. The teachers do not advocate one style over another, be it classical, visionary, fantastic, abstract or otherwise; but the students' personal direction, originality and visual language are always encouraged and supported.
* When not painting, enjoy adventures discovering nature, the surrounding beauty and wildlife which is abundant, visiting sacred temples and sites, or simply chill and rest while taking in a sunset. There are well over one hundred options to choose from. Excursions are always an option for the 'group', especially on the weekends, and we can elect to have a 'guide' to lead the way, and give a local history or insight on the exprience. But there is also the freedom to make your own adventures independently, or with a fellow artist(s).
* Back in the studio, Prof Phil & Mantra are always on hand to personally ensure that a transmission of essential knowledge and spirit of lineage comes through their unique individualized instruction.
A WORD FROM OUR HOST, REXONI
"I was born and brought up in Thudanganadu, Kerala near to Villa #1. My graduate studies were in Chennai at the University of Madras. Afterward, I started working as Software Engineer in India, Oman, Vienna, Austria and now in Switzerland. There are two villas available for use and Chill Valley Villa #1 is usually our home, but since we have been residing in Switzerland, we have decided to start this Full Service Villa Project with the support of the Kerala Tourism Department. Chill Valley is pleased to serve you with an experienced and skilled Personal Manager, Professional Kerala Style Chef and Cleaning Staff. We also offer Ayurveda Massage, Vadakkan Kalari Training (Kerala Martial Art) and Yoga Classes through professionals. Excellent Hospitals and Doctors' services are available as per requirement. There will be guides to assist you for Outdoor Trips. Chill Valley is held to a standard established by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC). We are happy to invite you to Kerala to have a memorable experience of the tropical Flora and Fauna, Culture, the People and Lifestyle, Kerala Spices, Fruits and Vegetables. Last but not least, an unforgettable place to Study, Practice and Paint ! "
REGISTRATION open to 15 PARTICIPANTS
ALL INCLUSIVE TUITION, ROOM & BOARD
Does not include Airfare
$300 discount for the first Lucky 7 people that register
Includes Study, Room & Board with 3 meals/day, Daily optional Yoga Class,
Professional Chef offering Kerala cusine, Personal Manager, Cleaning staff and
Pick-up and Drop-off at Kochi International Airport
TUITION MUST BE PAID-IN-FULL FOR LUCKY- 7
DOUBLE Room /for 2 people (Tuition/Room & Meals) $ 2,175 >
Price is Per-person. After the "Lucky 7" discount,tuition will be $2,475
SINGLE Room /1 person (Tuition/Room & Meals) $ 2,525 >
After the "Lucky 7" discount, tuition will be $2,825
Payment Plan DEPOSIT: $500 per person on Double Room >
at $2,475 per person> Pay Balance in up to 6 Monthly Installments (by arrangement) with
total due by November 30.
$500 Deposit for Single Room at $2,825. Pay Balance in up to 6 Monthly > Installments (by arrangement) with total due by November 30.
NO REFUNDS after June 15, 2023
See CANCELLATION & SUBSTITUTION POLICY 2023 - 2024 below:
PAYMENT, POLICIES & GENERAL CONDITIONS
FULL TUITION INCLUDES:
* Teaching 5 days per week, minimum of 6 hours per day
* Classes are held, at minimum: 9:30 - 12:30 and 2:30 - 5:30, Mon - Fri. but at times will run longer.
* The studio is open 24/7 for working.
* For the painting seminar, we will provide materials like ingredients for the medium, varnishes, brush cleaners, oils, turpentine/or substitutes like Gamsol and Glakyd, sicatives, containers and clean up materials like soap and paper towels.
~ PAYMENT & GENERAL CONDITIONS:
* All prices are per person
* Prices are in US dollars.
* For other currencies (Euros, pounds, ETC.), the current conversion rate will be used at the time payment IS RECEIVED by OMNV. This will be calculated automatically through PayPal or credit card agencies. For bank transfers, direct deposits, checks, we will use the current rate listed at xe.com
* Payment may be made through PayPal. For the deposit or Full Payment, use the LINK FOR Paypal. PayPal and/or Bank Fees will apply. Please be sure to add any Fees to your payment as denoted on the Paypal site. If you wish to do a Bank Wire Transfer, or another form of payment other than PayPal please contact Mantra at email@example.com.
* The tuition and/or deposit is refundable until October 30, 2023, after that our Cancellation and Substitution Policy is enforced.
* The tuition and/or deposit is refundable until January 30, 2023, after that our Cancellation and Substitution Policy is enforced.
* Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the seminar.
* Students are responsible for their own health insurance. Registration for the seminar constitutes a waiver on the participants' part regarding injuries or illnesses sustained during the seminar and OMNV cannot be held responsible..
* In the unlikely event of the seminar's cancellation, all payments will be refunded IN FULL. - SEE CANCELLATION POLICY,
CANCELLATION & SUBSTITUTION POLICY 2023 - 2024:
Should a workshop be cancelled by us for any reason, payment will be refunded in full to all participants. All PAYMENTS in this case, are refundable. If the seminar is not canceled by our actions, but by the student, aSubstitution Policy is in effect. In the event of a Natural Disaster or Forces of Nature, War, Pandemic, interference by a Government, Alien Invasion or other Forces out of our control and OMNV is directly effected and shutdown, understand that "we are not the cause of it, nor did "we cancel". We will, however, under such circumstances, grant a CREDIT toward another seminar of equivalent cost and length of time (to expire one year from the date of the seminar you canceled began. A CREDIT is good for one year from the last day of the current seminar or workshop that the participant registered for and missed to the first day of the following seminar one year later
THE SUBSTITUITION POLICY
Tuition can be refunded only by a substitute provided by the canceling-student. If the student cancelling received any discount, special rate, or other consideration outside of the REGULAR TUITION RATE, the person replacing the one who canceled will have to pay any difference to OMNV in fees up to the equivalent of the REGULAR TUITION RATE. With your deposit/registration you are committing to attend the seminar. If for some reason something unforeseen happens and you are unable to attend the seminar, you may qualify for a CREDIT depending on the circumstances preventing your attendance. The credit is ONE to ONE and good for 1 YEAR, not longer. We have had people waiting 5 years to use their tuition credit for another seminar and that does not work for us anymore. Meaning, if you could not attend a 4 week seminar, did not get a substitute to attend in your place, and asked for a CREDIT, if granted, that credit is good for any event, workshop or seminar up to the value of the credit given for one year and ONE YEAR ONLY. No monetary or credit - refund is issued for the cost difference between workshops. (EX. If a seminar cost $1,500 and the CREDIT is applied to a workshop that has a tuition of $600, the difference of $900 is not refundable. The CREDIT IS NOT applicable for multiple workshops that add up to the tuition originally paid. We have had people still wanting to apply a credit given 4 and even 6 years later and we simply cannot do this any longer. If you are unable to attend, we invite you to provide a student to replace you. Your refund comes directly from that replacement who pays you for your slot. If there is still a balance due that must be made by the substitute as well, or the original attendee who registered. Please inform us with the name and the contact information for the substitute.
TRIP INSURANCE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
IN ORDER TO AVOID loss of DEPOSIT, or FULL PAYMENT LOSS on Tuition, Airfare, or a Medical Emergency, it is STRONGLY ADVISED THAT PARTICIPANTS PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE AT the TIME they make their WORKSHOP DEPOSIT or FULL PAYMENT. It is very wise to get coverage for CANCELLATION of your trip as well as HEALTH INSURANCE WHILE ABROAD. We have had, on rare occasions, a student that required hospitalization and without travel/health insurance the bill could be rather stressful. To comparethe 10 best companies for travel Insurance go to this link:
Best Travel Insurance (Updated March 2023)
Make your next trip a relaxing one with the best travel insurance for you and your loved ones. Featuring comprehensive coverage and personalized benefits, you can enjoy full protection no matter where life takes you. ConsumerVoice has rated and reviewed the top travel insurance providers, giving you an easy way to compare your options before your next trip.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
Use normal precautions and common sense to keep yourself and your family/friends safe. Always keep your valuables at your side, don’t leave cameras, phones, or other expensive gear visible, and don’t leave any precious belongings unattended at the beach or elsewhere. We always recommend purchasing travel insurance before your trip. You never know what might happen (flight delays, lost baggage, illness), and travel insurance helps with all of those unpredictable events that can occur in travel and life. We highly recommend that you secure a short term plan covering the weeks you'll be away. In a certain way, if you cannot afford travel insurance, you can’t afford your trip. It’s that simple.