Prof Phil and Mantra create Painting Retreats in exotic places and sacred spaces. We will return to the LIGHT of GREECE. As always, it will be a time for 'serious – play' and working to expand our vision and skills. Learning to paint anything from simple forms and found objects to the stuff of dreams and visions. Everyone will work on at least two+ paintings, one will be a painting developed from an abstract ground with guidance from Mantra. The other painting can be whatever the artist wants to strengthen in their work. The teachers will meet with every artist individually to go over their specified plan together. Artists can elect to work on more than these two paintings, or choose to focus on the two at hand.
It is rewarding and thrilling to explore the art and culture that is Greece! In addition, great food, and great fiends, old and new become part of a global family network and adventure that makes one's heart swell and feel you have returned home to your creative tribe. At this retreat, Beginners and Advanced artists alike, experience new avenues of inspiration; a creative springboard into the realm of ideas, visions and personal insights and many students will make what Prof Phil calls: "a Quantum Leap in Your Work". Mixing painting, culture, pleasure, rest and rejuvenation with Artistic Knowledge and Creative Action we discover energies of invention and revelation that we did not know we even had. When Prof Phil coined the term 'Visionary Tribe' 45 years ago, he did not expect such a global and even commercial expansion of artists in this genre' to occur. Now that there are so many of his students that have received a direct transmission of Mischtechnik, even students' of his students are among those who now attend the OMNV seminars for a deep individualized practice and guidance with Prof Phil and his partner, Mantra. They bring it all back home to a visionary village full of life, love, a genuine knowledge and experience to heighten our vision and skills.
About the Course:
In this Master Class, Prof Phil and Mantra Cora will guide each student in learning a sound and practical version of Mischtechnik, or Indirect Painting based on the principles and procedures of the old Masters of the 14th to 16th centuries. This, in combination with the simplicity of a Grisaille, or Brunaille underpainting, an approach inspired by 19th century painters, will help to make these sophisticated techniques easy to learn and manage. The teachers will begin by instructing everyone in the basic fundamental steps in Monochromatic underpainting followed by glazes and layers of both opaque and semi-transparent oil color, and heightened with white egg tempera, and/or casein, to create a rich luminosity, depth and atmosphere in your work. In this way, paintings become more convincing and the forms within more believable.
First year students will learn the basic fundamentals of Mischtechnik Principals. Advanced students may learn the use of faster and slower mediums, different grounds, or imprimatur, characteristics and drying times of oil colors and when their application is called for, and some tricks of the trade as they are guided through various versions of indirect painting. Methods and materials will be a focus for all students. Mantra will also offer ways to construct various grounds in decalcomania, allowing for a spontaneous approach in the beginning stages of painting to create a 'visionary portrait', or another image that may arise. All this takes place in an environment in which the teachers provide a highly individualized approach tailored to fit each participant's individual direction and visual language, in a safe and sacred space. The OMNV studio is always inspiring and magically provides a serendipitous and alchemical process in painting.
* Painting Instruction is at least 6 - 7 hours per day, 9:30 – 12:30 and 2:30 – 5:30 (or 6:30), Mon – Fri with an Open Studio and 24/7 access, seven days a week. An impromptu visit to the beach to bathe in the sun and swim in crystal clear waters is a daily option during lunch-time, or after dinner.
* 120 - 140+ hours of instruction in Methods and Materials, Under-painting, Indirect & Direct Painting in Layers, and a version(s) of Mischtechnik as practiced by the Old Masters with innovations from Prof Phil & Mantra Cora.
* Meet fellow Artists * Kindred Spirits - in a creative environment; studying, sharing experiences and cultural activities together.
* Enjoy meals, conversation and sharing visions together. Plan to cook a meal together, or if you like, check out the amazing local cuisine.
* When not painting, enjoy adventures in Greece discovering ancient ruins and art, or simply chilling and resting on a fine sandy beach by the sea. Excursions are sometimes an option for the 'group', but there is also the freedom to make your own adventures.
* Prof Phil & Mantra are always on hand to personally ensure that a transmission of essential knowledge and spirit comes through both group and individualized instruction.
* Respectful instruction is tailored to each individual's unique visual language. The teachers do not advocate one style over another, be it classical, visionary, fantastic, abstract or otherwise; but the students' personal direction and originality are encouraged.
* Renowned master artists have been known to drop in on the OMNV painting seminars, offering feedback, discussion and inspiration.
* Enhance your skills in observation and nurture an intuitive - higher vision.
* Creative courage comes naturally in this supportive setting of beauty and culture.
MANTRA assisting Prof. Ernst Fuchs on 'The Angel of Death Over the Gate to Purgatory"', Fuchs Atelier at the Pallfy Palace, Vienna, Austria, 2012
Mia's Place, the Studio and Village Life in Finikounda
The Village of Finikounda (Foinikounta/Founikous) sits on a beautiful location with a great seaside front, and is notable for its magnificent sandy beaches. The most ancient reference to the region of Finikounda is found on the clay tablets that were discovered in Mycenaean Pylos, in the palace of Nestor. The area not only offers a place of stunning beauty, but a rich history of art, culture, and magnificent sites, serenity and inspiration. Laying on the beach and walking quietly among ancient ruins in Greece is followed by drinking the lightning of creative inspiration. Add the beauty and culture of Greece, where Western Art has its beginnings, the support of creative community and teachers that actually know something to share and guide your unique visual language, and we have all the elements of rejuvenation and creative fire fueling an unforgettable experience. Come join us in exploring Greece, open up new avenues of inspiration, and make travel and creative holiday a springboard for a whole new flow of ideas, igniting personal insights and vision and paintings like you have never done before.
Mia's Place & the Studio
Over the last several decades we have held dozens of painting seminars in numerous locations in more than 8 countries. But, this summer, it is our good fortune of being able to paint on such a beautiful property by the sea. Mis Martin is a friend and one of our dearest students who has already taken two seminars with us. She is a kind, gracious and generous human being. There are several farm houses on her property, one of which has been built to serve as a studio looking out over the sea. Mia's place is brimming with olive, nut and citrus trees. Flowers and plants abound and colors and fragrances fill the air. The sea is literally minutes away and can be seen from our studio porch.
The sandy beach by the sea is one of the places the seminar artists frequent to swim, relax, rest and rejuvenate at lunch time or at the end of the day while sun-baked inspiration warms the mind and the surrounding beauty opens the heart. After leaving the studio each day, people can elect to join one another for conversation and meals.
For a camping spot, notify Mia by email.
MIA MARTIN <email@example.com>
Accommodations Near By
Our studio space is limited to about 17 participants, and there is plenty of housing opportunities close by. Mia's place is called Katsireka. This year Mia has very limited accommodations, but people can choose to camp on the property near the studio: 5 €URO per day for camping shower/towel, payable directly to Mia. It should be very easy to find places to stay in the neighborhood. Go to Airbnb and look in the area of Finikunda (Finikounta). There is also the little village close by Finikunda, called Kamaria. Mia's friends and neighbors may also have available rooms and apartments. Students are encouraged to communicate with each other and if they like, organize a place together that is exciting and agreeable. We highly encourage people to explore shared housing nearby. For example, In Finikounda, this stone villa housing 6 people would amount to about $18 US Dollars per day/per person, or for 4 people, about $28 per day/per person.
" LOUTSA STONE"-Maisonette
6 guests · 3 bedrooms · 4 beds · 2 baths
Wifi · Air conditioning · Free parking · Kitchen
4.45 (11 reviews)
$93 per night
REGISTRATION, PAYMENT & TUITION POLICY
* All prices are per person.* Prices are in US dollars. * For other currencies (dollars, pounds), the current conversion rate will be used at the time of payment. This will be calculated automatically through PayPal or credit card agencies. You may also pay by Square, TransferWise, Bank Wire Transfer, Direct Deposit, Zelle, Paypal, Personal Check or Money Order. For currency rates you can use the current rate listed at xe.com. To Pay Tuition another way other than Paypal, or if you have Questions? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
FULL TUITION INCLUDES:
* Teaching 5 days per week, minimum of 6 hours per day
* Classes are held at minimum: 9:30 - 12:30 and 2:30 - 5:30, Mon - Fri. but sometimes will run longer.
* The studio is open 24/7 for working.
* For the painting seminar, we will provide materials like ingredients for the medium, varnishes, brush cleaners, oils, turpentine, sicatives, containers and clean up materials like soap and paper towels.
~ PAYMENT & GENERAL CONDITIONS:
* All prices are per person
* Prices are in US dollars.
* For other currencies (dollars, pounds, ETC.), the current conversion rate will be used at the time payment IS RECEIVED BY OMNV. This will be calculated automatically through PayPal or credit card agencies. For bank transfers, direct deposits, checks, we will use the current rate listed at xe.com
* Payment may be made through PayPal. For the deposit or Full Payment, use the LINK FOR Paypal. Bank Fees will apply. Please be sure to add any Paypal Fees to your payment as denoted on the Paypal site. If you wish to do a Bank Wire Transfer, or another form of payment other than PayPal please contactMantra at firstname.lastname@example.org, to Prof Phil at: email@example.com
* The tuition and/or deposit is refundable until January 30, 2022, after that our Cancellation Policy is enforced.
* Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the seminar.
* Students are responsible for their own health insurance. Registration for the seminar constitutes a waiver on the participants' part regarding injuries or illnesses sustained during the seminar and OMNV cannot be held responsible..
* In the unlikely event of the seminar's cancellation, all payments will be refunded IN FULL. - SEE CANCELLATION POLICY,
CANCELLATION & SUBSTITUTION POLICY 2021 -2023:
Should a workshop be cancelled by us for any reason, payment will be refunded in full to all participants. All PAYMENTS in this case, are refundable. If the seminar is not canceled by our actions, but by the student, a Substitution Policy is in effect. In the event of a Natural Disaster or Forces of Nature, War, Pandemic, interference by a Government, or other Forces out of our control and OMNV is directly effected and shutdown, understand that "we are not the cause of it, nor did "we cancel". REVISED FOR ALL THOSE WHO PRE-REGISTERED FOR GREECE 2019 - 2022: We will, however, under such circumstances, grant a CREDIT equal to what you have paid for a term of one year toward another seminar of equivalent cost and length of time (to expire June 14, 2023). REVISED ON JANUARY 24, 2021: Due to the unpredictability of the Covid Situation and its long-reaching effect on intercontinental travel; The CREDIT is now good "indefinitely" if cancellation is due to the pandemic itself, and can be applied to any seminar that occurs in Greece, the USA, Europe, Australia or anywhere on the planet.
THE SUBSTITUITION POLICY
Money can be refunded only by a substitute provided by the canceling-student. If the student cancelling received any discount, special rate, or other consideration outside of the REGULAR TUITION RATE, the person replacing the one who canceled will have to pay any difference to OMNV in fees up to meeting the REGULAR TUITION RATE. With your deposit/registration you are committing to attend the seminar. If for some reason something unforeseen happens and you are unable to attend the seminar, you may qualify for a CREDIT depending on the circumstances preventing your attendance. A CREDIT is good for one year from the last day of the current seminar or workshop that was missed to the first day of the following seminar one year later (or more in certain circumstances). The credit is ONE to ONE. Meaning, if you could not attend a 4 week seminar, did not get a substitute to attend in your place, and asked for a CREDIT, if granted, that credit is good for any event, workshop or seminar up to the value of the credit for one year. No monetary or credit - refund is issued for the cost difference between workshops. (EX. If a seminar cost $1,500 and the CREDIT is applied to a workshop that has a tuition of $600, the difference of $900 is not refunded. The CREDIT IS NOT applicable to multiple workshops that add up to the tuition originally paid. We have had people still wanting to apply a credit given 4 and even 6 years ago and we simply cannot do this any longer. If you are unable to attend we invite you to provide a student to replace you. Your refund comes directly from that replacement who pays you for your slot. If there is still a balance due that must be made by the substitute as well, or the original attendee to OMNV. Please inform us with the name and the contact information for the substitute.
TRIP INSURANCE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
IN ORDER TO AVOID loss of DEPOSIT, or FULL PAYMENT LOSS on Tuition, Airfare, Medical Emergency, it is STRONGLY ADVISED THAT PARTICIPANTS PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE AT the TIME they make their WORKSHOP DEPOSIT or FULL PAYMENT . It is very wise to get coverage for CANCELLATION of your trip as well as HEALTH INSURANCE WHILE ABROAD IS ALSO HIGHLY ENCOURAGED. We have had, on rare occasions, a student that required hospitalization and without travel/health insurance the bill could be rather stressful. For the 10 best companies for travel Insurance go to this link:
HEALTH & SAFETY:
Do your best at not flushing toilet paper in Greece. The sewage system is very narrow in diameter, and the pipes tend to get clogged quite easily. So where should you dispose of your toilet paper? The garbage bin located next to the toilet. 🙂 Greece is a relatively safe country, but if you leave things of value in the car, be sure they are out of sight of passers-by. Use normal precautions and common sense to keep yourself and your family/friends safe. Always keep your valuables at your side, don’t leave cameras, phones, or other expensive gear visible, and don’t leave any precious belongings unattended at the beach. We always recommend purchasing travel insurance before your trip. You never know what might happen (flight delays, lost baggage, illness), and travel insurance definitely helps with all of those unpredictable events that can occur in travel and life.
We highly recommend that you secure a short term plan (covering the weeks we’ll be away) before we leave for any trip! Even if you don’t end up using it, peace of mind is 100% worth it. Find a plan, options and pricing here (and at only a few bucks a day, there’s no excuse not to!) In a certain way, if you cannot afford travel insurance, you can’t afford your trip. It’s that simple.