June 13 - July 10, 2021
4 - Week Art Odyssey & Painting Retreat
The Seaside Village of Finikounda, Greece
Return to Light
Επιστροφή στο Φως
See the video on Finikounda - scroll down to bottom of page
Prof Phil and Mantra create Painting Retreats in exotic places and sacred spaces. We will return to the LIGHT of GREECE. As always, it will be a time for 'serious – play' and working to expand your vision and skills. Learning to paint anything from simple forms and found objects to the stuff of dreams and visions. Everyone will work on at least two paintings, one will be a painting developed from an abstract ground with guidance from Mantra. The other painting can be whatever the artist wants to strengthen in their work. The teachers will meet with every artist individually to go over their specified plan together. Artists can elect to work on more than these two paintings, or choose to focus on the two at hand.
It is rewarding and thrilling to explore the art and culture that is Greece! In addition, great food, and great fiends, old and new become part of a global family network and adventure that makes one's heart swell and feel you have returned home to your creative tribe. At this retreat, Beginners and Advanced artists alike, experience new avenues of inspiration; a creative springboard into the realm of ideas, visions and personal insights and many students will make what Prof Phil calls: "a Quantum Leap in Your Work". Mixing painting, culture, pleasure, rest and rejuvenation with Artistic Knowledge and Creative Action we discover energies of invention and revelation that we did not know we even had. When Prof Phil coined the term 'Visionary Tribe' 45 years ago, he did not expect such a global and even commercial expansion of artists in this genre' to occur. Now that there are so many of his students that have received a direct transmission of Mischtechnik, even students' of his students are among those who now attend the OMNV seminars for a deep individualized practice and guidance with Prof Phil and his partner, Mantra. They bring it all back home to a visionary village full of life, love, a genuine knowledge and experience to heighten our vision and skills.
About the Course:
In this Master Class, Prof Phil and Mantra Cora will guide each student in learning a sound and practical version of Mischtechnik, or Indirect Painting based on the principles and procedures of the old Masters of the 14th to 16th centuries. This, in combination with the simplicity of a Grisaille, or Brunaille underpainting, an approach inspired by 19th century painters, will help to make these sophisticated techniques easy to learn and manage. The teachers will begin by instructing everyone in the basic fundamental steps in Monochromatic underpainting followed by glazes and layers of both opaque and semi-transparent oil color, and heightened with white egg tempera, and/or casein, to create a rich luminosity, depth and atmosphere in your work. In this way, paintings become more convincing and the forms within more believable.
First year students will learn the basic fundamentals of Mischtechnik Principals. Advanced students may learn the use of faster and slower mediums, different grounds, or imprimatur, characteristics and drying times of oil colors and when their application is called for, and some tricks of the trade as they are guided through various versions of indirect painting. Methods and materials will be a focus for all students. Mantra will also offer ways to construct various grounds in decalcomania, allowing for a spontaneous approach in the beginning stages of painting to create a 'visionary portrait', or another image that may arise. All this takes place in an environment in which the teachers provide a highly individualized approach tailored to fit each participant's individual direction and visual language, in a safe and sacred space. The OMNV studio is always inspiring and magically provides a serendipitous and alchemical process in painting.
* Painting Instruction is at least 6 - 7 hours per day, 9:30 – 12:30 and 2:30 – 5:30 (or 6:30), Mon – Fri with an Open Studio and 24/7 access, seven days a week. An impromptu visit to the beach to bathe in the sun and swim in crystal clear waters is a daily option during lunch-time, or after dinner.
* 120 - 140+ hours of instruction in Under-painting, Indirect & Direct Painting in Layers, and a version(s) of Mischtechnik as practiced by the Old Masters with innovations from Prof Phil & Mantra Cora.
* Meet fellow Artists * Kindred Spirits - in a creative environment; studying, sharing experiences and cultural activities together.
* Enjoy meals, conversation and sharing visions together. Plan cooking together if you like, or check out the amazing local cuisine.
* When not painting, enjoy adventures in Greece discovering ancient ruins and art, or simply chilling and resting on a fine sandy beach by the sea. Excursions are sometimes an option for the 'group', but there is also the freedom to make your own adventures.
* Prof Phil & Mantra are always on hand to personally ensure that a transmission of essential knowledge and artistic spirit comes through group and individualized instruction.
* Respectful instruction is tailored to each individual's unique visual language. The teachers do not advocate one style over another, be it classical, visionary, fantastic, abstract or otherwise; but the students' personal direction and originality are encouraged.
* Renowned master artists have been known to drop in on the OMNV painting seminars, offering feedback, discussion and inspiration.
* Enhance your skills in observation and nurture an intuitive - higher vision.
* Creative courage comes naturally in this supportive setting of beauty and culture.
Mia's Place and Village Life in Finikounda
The Village of Finikounda (Foinikounta/Founikous) sits on a beautiful location with a great seaside front, and is notable for its magnificent sandy beaches. The most ancient reference to the region of Finikounda is found on the clay tablets that were discovered in Mycenaean Pylos, in the palace of Nestor. The area not only offers a place of stunning beauty, but a rich history of art, culture, and magnificent sites, serenity and inspiration. Laying on the beach and walking quietly among ancient ruins in Greece is followed by drinking the lightning of creative inspiration. Add the beauty and culture of Greece, where Western Art has its beginnings, the support of creative community and teachers that actually know something to share and guide your unique visual language, and we have all the elements of rejuvenation and creative fire fuelin an unforgettable experience. Take the time now and decide to take time for yourself. Simply eat, sleep, dream and be — then paint what you see. Come join us in exploring Greece, open up new avenues of inspiration, and make travel and creative holiday a springboard for a whole new flow of ideas, igniting personal insights and vision and paintings like you have never done before.
Over the last several decades we have held dozens of painting seminars in numerous locations in more than 8 countries. But, never has our creative community had the good fortune of being under the care of such a kind, gracious and generous hostess like Ms. Mia Martin. Mia is also an artist and has taken two OMNV painting seminars. Her paintings adorn several of her farm house apartments on her property, where her studio is situated and looks out over the sea. Her studio serves as the creative sacred space for the painting seminar. Mia's place is brimming with olive, nut and citrus trees. Flowers and plants abound and colors and fragrances fill the air. The sea is literally minutes away and can be seen from our studio porch. The beauty of the sea and nature inspires Mia's painting.
The sandy beach by the sea is one of the places the seminar artists frequent to swim, relax, rest and rejuvenate at lunch time or at the end of the day while sun-baked inspiration warms the mind and the beauty opens the heart. After leaving the studio each day, Mia's farm houses serve as a gathering place where people can elect to join one another for conversation and meals. Mia has limited accommodations which can house 7 or 8 people with bedrooms at €URO 20 to 35 pp/per day and 8+ people with camping facilities at: €URO 5 per day
Our studio space is limited to about 17 participants, and housing on-site will not meet all of our needs..
To arrange for your housing please contact Mia by Email to reserve:
MIA MARTIN <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Camping: € 5 per day with shower/towel
Rooms & Apartments: € 20 to € 35 per person/per day
Mia's place will accommodate a good majority of the seminar participants (first come-first served). Mia's friends and neighbors also have available rooms and apartments. Students are encouraged to communicate with each other and if they like, organize a place together that is exciting and agreeable. We encouage people to explore shared housing nearby.
PAYMENT & TUITION POLICY
* All prices are per person.* Prices are in EUROS. * For other currencies (dollars, pounds), the current conversion rate will be used at the time of payment. This will be calculated automatically through PayPal or credit card agencies. You may pay by TransferWise, Bank Wire Transfer, Direct Deposit, Zelle, Paypal, Personal Check or Money Order. For currency rates you can use the current rate listed at xe.com, or the convenient converter posted below (both converters should give pretty much the same rate). To Pay Tuition in another way than Paypal, or if you have Questions ? Contact us at: email@example.com
All prices are in €uro. PayPal will automatically convert payments or you can use the for the current conversion rate of Euro to Dollars on the day of payment, and pay in US Dollars. Thank you.
TUITION RATES for 4 Week STUDY
Accommodation/Meals & Transportation are separate from Tuition
Returning Artist Rate: Paying in Full € 1,750
CLICK THE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT >
First Year Artist Rate: Paying in Full € 1,850
CLICK THE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT >
PAYMENT PLAN for ALL ARTISTS:
PAY Deposit of € 400 toward TOTAL of € 1,875:
THE BALANCE of: € 1,475 TO BE PAID in Full
NO LATER THAN April 16, 2021:
CLICK THE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT
CANCELLATION & OTHER POLICIES- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
REGISTRATION: Payment is made in Euros. YOUR REGISTRATION FOR THE SEMINAR is a Non-Refundable FEE that serves to RESERVE your place in the seminar. There are no refunds on the deposit. No refunds on any payments after the deposit. SEE CANCELLATION POLICY BELOW
* Teaching 5 days per week, minimum of 6 hours per day
* Classes are held 9:30 - 12:30 and 2:30 - 5:30, Mon - Fri.
* For the painting seminar, we will provide materials like ingredients for the medium, varnishes, brush cleaners, oils, turpentine, sicatives, containers and clean up materials like soap and paper towels.
* Students must provide their own oil colors, brushes, palettes, a travel or table easel, bottles and jars. A Required Materials List will be distributed after registration.
~ PAYMENT & GENERAL CONDITIONS:
* All prices are per person
* Prices are in EUROS.
* For other currencies (dollars, pounds, ETC.), the current conversion rate will be used at the time payment IS RECEIVED BY OMNV. This will be calculated automatically through PayPal or credit card agencies. For bank transfers, direct deposits, checks, we will use the current rate listed at xe.com.
* Payment may be made through PayPal. For the deposit or Full Payment, use the LINK FOR Paypal. Bank Fees will apply. Please be sure to add any Paypal Fees to your payment as denoted on the Paypal site. If you wish to do a Bank Wire Transfer, or another form of payment other than PayPal please contact Prof Phil at: firstname.lastname@example.org
* The tuition and/or deposit is refundable until January 5, 2020, after that our Cancellation Policy is enforced.
* Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the seminar.
* Students are responsible for their own health insurance. Registration for the seminar constitutes a waiver on the participants' part regarding injuries or illnesses sustained during the seminar.
* In the unlikely event of the seminar's cancellation, all payments will be refunded IN FULL. - SEE CANCELLATION POLICY,
CANCELLATION & SUBSTITUTION POLICY 2020 - 2021:
Should a workshop be cancelled by us for any reason, payment will be refunded in full to all participants. All PAYMENTS in this case, are refundable. If the seminar is not canceled a Substitution Policy is in effect. In the event of a Natural Disaster or Forces of Nature, War, Pandemic, interference by a Government, or other Forces out of our control and OMNV is directly effected and shutdown, understand that "we are not the cause of it, nor did we "cancel". We will, however, under such circumstances, grant a CREDIT equal to what you have paid for a term of one year toward another seminar of equivalent cost and length of time (to expire June 14, 2022).
The Substitution Policy
Money can be refunded only by a substitute provided by the canceling-student. If the student cancelling received any discount, special rate, or other consideration outside of the REGULAR TUITION RATE, the person replacing the one who canceled will have to pay any difference in fees. With your deposit/registration you are committing to attend the seminar. If for some reason something unforeseen happens and you are unable to attend the seminar, you may qualify for a CREDIT depending on the circumstances preventing your attendance. A CREDIT is good for one year from the last day of the current seminar or workshop that was missed to the first day of the following seminar one year later. The credit is ONE to ONE. Meaning, if you could not attend a 4 week seminar, did not get a substitute to attend in your place, and asked for a CREDIT, if granted, that credit is good for any event, workshop or seminar up to the value of the credit for one year. No monetary or credit - refund is issued for the cost difference between workshops. (EX. If a seminar cost $1,500 and the CREDIT is applied to a workshop that has a tuition of $600, the difference of $900 is not refunded. The CREDIT IS NOT applicable to multiple workshops that add up to the tuition originally paid. We have had people still wanting to apply a credit given 4 years ago and we simply cannot do this any longer. If you are unable to attend we invite you to provide a student to replace you. Your refund comes from that replacement. If there is still a balance due that must be made by the substitute as well, or the original attendee. Please inform us with the name and the contact information for the substitute.
TRIP INSURANCE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
IN ORDER TO AVOID DEPOSIT or FULL PAYMENT LOSS on Tuition, Airfare, Medical Emergency, it is STRONGLY ADVISED THAT PARTICIPANTS PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE AT the TIME they make their WORKSHOP DEPOSIT or FULL PAYMENT . HEALTH INSURANCE WHILE ABROAD IS ALSO HIGHLY ENCOURAGED. We have had, on rare occasions, a student that required hospitalization and without travel/health insurance the bill could be rather stressful.
Travel Insurance to cover tour and flight cancellation, baggage loss and any medical cost incurred, is the responsibility of each participant, and we encourage you to purchase it at the time of sending in the deposit. DISCLAIMER: We cannot be held responsible for any injuries, or medical conditions that may arise during the seminar dates, nor can we reimburse people that cancel due to unexpected events. * Trip insurance can be affordably purchased for as little as $150 for coverage of one person. For example:
Trip Cancellation $5,000 (100% of trip cost)
Trip Interruption $5,000 (100% of trip cost)
Medical Evacuation $100,000 per person
Emergency Medical $25,000 per person ($0 deductible)
Baggage Loss $750 per person
Flight Accident $25,000 per person
Accidental Death $10,000 per person
Compare plans easily AT:
Prof Phil works on a painting in Mischtechnik
(Egg tempera & Resin Oil)
Mantra assisting Ernst Fuchs on one of his monumental works.
Vienna , Austria 2013